16 May, 2005

Hypocrisy and Christian faith

Are hypocrisy and Christian faith necessarily entwined? As a Christian, I must embrace a call to perfection. The goal is holiness. Yet it is also part of our faith that we are fallen, and cannot attain holiness without God's grace. I have read somewhere (perhaps wrongly) that unless God should give us an exceptional grace, we cannot hope for complete holiness.

Here is a definition of hypocrisy, from Dictionary.com:

The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
Another:
an expression of agreement that is not supported by real conviction.
According to the first definition, yes; hypocrisy is necessary; according to the second, not necessarily. I can't say for certain.

In any case: given my own track record, I expect more occasions for humble reflection, although I hope for none.

No comments: