20 July, 2005

Between the mountains and the sea

This is Gaeta:
Actually, it's the Gulf of Gaeta. Gaeta lies on a peninsula that juts into the Tyrrhenian Sea; the Italian phrase is tra le montagne e il mare (between the [Aurunci] mountains and the sea). Nearly every age has witnessed a world power that occupies Monte Orlando: you can see the ruins of a Roman fort in this photo: Currently, NATO , the Italian government, and the American navy have bases there. It's a beach resort, too, as you can sort of guess from that photo.

I'd write more, but duty calls. Blogging is still spotty because I'm still out of the country. There will be additional photos, though :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand Oriana Fallaci is in some sort of legal trouble for bad-mouthing Islam?

Elliot

jack perry said...

That's news to me, but I generally follow the news online, and I haven't been following much news online the last couple of weeks.

That said, it doesn't surprise me at all. I've heard about her book, The Rage and the Pride. These days it's so easy for Europeans to fling the word "racism" around that I've seen it used against her, even though based on my reading of Insciallah I'd say she isn't racist at all. She makes no bones about her disdain for religion in general, and while she reserves a special bile for Islam and what it's done to the Middle East, Christianity isn't anything special for her, either. ...from what I can tell.

Can you point me to a specific article? I'm really interested in this.

Anonymous said...

I saw it here:

http://www.getreligion.org/?p=943

Elliot

jack perry said...

Thanks. You might also want to check out the Wikipedia article on Oriana Fallaci, which gives a fairly good idea of what's going on. It strikes me as a typical example of good intentions paving the road to hell: while Fallaci is too extreme for my tastes, her writing is hardly the sort that deserves prosecution.