18 September, 2005

A Momentary Lapse of Confidence

Earlier this week, I was grading tests, or homework, or something like that, and I caught myself wondering: Is this really what I want to do for the rest of my life?

The thought startled me. For most of the 6 years that I was a graduate student, I couldn't wait to finish the required research and leave it behind. With a PhD, I could finally do what I loved and cherished: teach college-level mathematics.

Yet here I am: my dream has finally come true, and I miss research.

How did this happen? I met with my advisor yesterday in order to finish The Paper That Will Never Be Finished, and I told him about the incident. He was highly amused.

I am, incidentally, learning about WebCT. With WebCT, I can set up online homework assignments, and I will never have to grade a student's HW again, only tests. So there's hope :-) aside from looking for a job in research.

No comments: