05 December, 2006

Not the cultural sophisticate, I (part 2)


I admit it. I receive emails about specials and discounts from that big national chain that has been driving small competitors out of business and contributing to the transformation of America's landscape into an architectural wasteland of strip malls populated by big-box retailers. Naturally, I'm talking about Barnes & Noble.

I received this morning an email with a special gift guide. There was a section with gift ideas for sophisticated friends. I don't imagine myself a cultural sophisticate, but when I saw Virgil's Æneid pictured in the email, I thought, Hey hey! Finally they have something that interests me! (Usually their mailings advertise the latest fashions in the shallow, modern novel, or in the noisy marketplace of political, um, "discourse".) Maybe it would even be dual-language, with Latin and English on facing pages! Finally, someone recognizes my interests as sophistication! A warm pleasure filled me from the inside out.

I followed the link. There were two pages of gift ideas for sophisticates, and not one of them is Virgil's Æneid. To wit:

  • Yale Shakespeare: Complete Works (at least they have Shakespeare)
  • Spy: the Funny Years (?!?!)
  • The Intellectual Devotional: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Rome Confidently with the Cultured Class (which bills itself as an alternative to religious devotionals, like my favorite, the Liturgy of the Hours)
  • A Photographer's Life: 1990-2005
  • We Tell Ourselves Stories in Order to Live: Collected Nonfiction
  • What to Drink with What You Eat
  • The Fellowship: the Untold Story of Frank Lloyd Wright and the Taliesin Fellowship
  • Against the Day
  • Dunhill by Design: a Very English Story
  • Dreaming of Tuscany: Where to Find the Very Best There Is (my suggestion would be to look south of Tuscany)
  • Phaidon Design Classics
  • Miller's Antinques Price Guide 2007: Over 8,000 New Items Valued ("new" items? what kind of "antiques" are these?)
  • ...and a bunch of other stuff, none of it books, but there is a handy traveling martini set.
Curiously, there is no Æneid.

Note: By analyzing the web page's HTML code, I found a link, but by that time I'd lost interest. Besides, what is Barnes & Noble thinking, that cultural sophisticates will actually know how to parse HTML?

No comments: