01 March, 2009

St. Thomas More is a genius

I give no man occasion to hold any one point or other, nor never gave any man advice or counsel therein one way or other. And for conclusion I could no farther go, whatsoever pain should come thereof. I am (quoth I) the King's true faithful subject and daily bedesman, and pray for his highness and all the realm. I do nobody no harm, I say none harm, I think none harm, but wish everybody good. And if this be not enough to keep a man alive, in good faith I long not to live. And I am dying already, and have since I came here, been divers times in the case that I thought to die within one hour. And I thank our Lord thatI was never sorry for it, but rather sorry when I saw the pang past.
I've caught parts of the Showtime series, The Tudors, and I was impressed by Jeremy Northam's portrayal of St. Thomas More. I had no idea that one of my favorite quotes from the show turns out to come from a a letter to his daughter Margaret.

No comments: