07 March, 2010

Of all the things to find objectionable...!

I sometimes answer questions on Yahoo! Answers, since it can be interesting. Usually the Faith & Spirituality section is filled with what you'd expect—trollers and baiting&madsh;but sometimes someone asks a genuine question. For example, some people occasionally ask, What is your favorite Bible verse? or Which part(s) of the Bible do you find hardest to deal with?

I don't much object to the verses that win (unless it's trollers and baiters) but I am baffled that the answer I routinely give is always given a thumbs down, and never given a thumbs up. That is,

You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.'
But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. (Matthew 5.43ish)
The entire Sermon on the Mount is both favorite and hardest for me, and I think it would be for most Christians if they paid attention to it. But that's beside the point: why would anyone find this a thumbs down? bizarre.

2 comments:

Clemens said...

Sadly, it is not bizarre, though it does you credit to think it so.

It simply is against the zeitgeist of present day Christian America.

I personally don't know how we got to this place.

jack perry said...

Maybe. But there are a lot of atheists who leave comments, usually of the snarky sort, too, and I wouldn't put it past many of the atheists I've known to vote that quote down. Not all, though.