19 July, 2008

Kindness to strangers

I passed through Belmont, NC yesterday evening, and so had the opportunity to rest from my travels at Belmont Abbey College. I walked into the Abbey Basilica to rest a few minutes and pray; at 7pm I didn't expect to find any monks present.

Not only were a couple of monks present, they were preparing for Vespers! As soon as I walked in, one of them stood up, came where I was sitting, and invited me to come pray with them. I hemmed and hawed a moment, but gladly did I follow him, and listen attentively to his instructions on what parts of the books to turn to. It was the first time in ages that I was able to sing Vespers in a community.

I know that Mass is a foretaste of the Heavenly liturgy, but surely the Divine Office, sung faithfully, shares that privilege. This, thanks to a moment's kindness that a monk offered to a complete stranger.

2 comments:

Clemens said...

Belmount Abbey. Carmen wants to go there. We've checked out their website several times. It is about an hour and a half from our house. What brought you this way?

It also reminded me of my week at Holy Cross up in Berryville. I had somewhat the same reaction to vespers. To all the services, really.

jack perry said...

What brought you this way?

I was driving to my parents' house in Virginia.