13 May, 2009

Klaatu barada nikto, again

As you may have guessed, the reason I had klaatu barada nikto on the brain is that I watched the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still. A few comments:

  1. The original was better. I haven't seen the original, but it can't possibly have been worse.
  2. I actually like Keanu Reeves' laid-back approach to acting, so the critics who call him flat or boring are obviously morons.
  3. Proof: Wikipedia summarizes the criticisms of the film as "lacking a coherent story". The sources of these criticisms must be the same ones who claimed that There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men were such great films. I watched them, and they had little or no story, let alone a coherent one.
  4. My wife doubts the theory I linked to at the AMC weblog ("Klaatu fight no one"), saying that klaatu barada nikto sounds in Russian like "Klaatu beard no one." I also found that somewhere online, and to be honest the movie would be a lot more interesting if it had something to do with that.
  5. I would like very much to read the story the film is based on.

No comments: