12 July, 2009

We don't usually sing this verse...

We sang the first verse or two of St. Francis' Hymn at Mass today. I kept singing afterwards. We were in the balcony area, which is separated by Plexiglas (?) from the main area of the hall, and most people left during the singing of the hymn, or immediately after, so I didn't embarass my poor wife too much: instead, she waited patiently for me to pass through my mania. (You can tell who the real saint is in our house: the one who always has to exhibit patience...)

I didn't sing the entire hymn, but I did want to get to this particular verse, which it seems we never sing:

And thou most kind and gentle Death,
Waiting to hush our latest breath,
O praise Him! Alleluia!
Thou leadest home the child of God,
And Christ our Lord the way hath trod.
I found that online; the version in our hymnal uses language more modern than "thou" etc.

Even this seems a bit neutered from the original:
Laudato si, mi signore, per sora nostra
morte corporale,
da laquale nullu homo
vivente po skappare.

Guai acqueli ke morrano
ne le peccata mortali!

Beati quelli ke trovarane
le tue santissime voluntati,
ka la morte secunda
nol fara' male.
This translates to,
May you be praised, my Lord,
for our sister, the death of the body,
from which no living man
can escape.

Woe to those who die
in mortal sin!

Blessed those who are found
fulfilling your holiest desires,
as the second death
will do them no harm.
I guess the following will have to do for an example of how the tune, although most of it is in a Slavic language (Polish?):

1 comment:

Here There and Everywhere said...

I enjoyed reading your postt